The mission at FUPC is simply reaching out to hurting and wounded people. We love people that others have given up on. Everyone deserves an opportunity to rebound from past mistakes. With the help and guidance of the Lord, men and women can get up and make something of their lives. Our desire is for FUPC to be a safe place for families to come and raise their children where Jesus is the center of attention. We are blessed to have a wonderful choir, ensembles, and soloist, but our emphasis is on the preaching of the Word of God. We still believe in old time Apostolic revival, where the pulpit is unfettered and men of God are at liberty to follow the leading of the Holy Ghost. We still believe in prayer for the sick and divine healing. If you are hungry for something more than tradition, invest an afternoon of your time at FUPC in DeQuincy, Louisiana. Visitors are always welcome to come and worship with us and help us lift up the matchless name of Jesus.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We are Bible-based in that we seek to base all of our beliefs and our lifestyle on detailed passages of the Bible and on biblical principles. Based on Scripture, we believe the following . . .
About the Bible
The Bible is the infallible Word of God and the authority for salvation and Christian living (2 Timothy 3:15-17). There is only one God, who revealed Himself as our Father, in His Son Jesus Christ, and as the Holy Ghost. Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are just titles there is only ONE God and his name is Jesus. Jesus Christ is God manifested in flesh. He is both God and man (Deuteronomy 6:4; Ephesians 4:4-6; Colossians 2:9; 1 Timothy 3:16).
About Sin and Salvation
Everyone has sinned and needs salvation. Salvation comes by grace through faith based on the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Romans 3:23-25; 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9). Grace means that salvations is a FREE gift from God and Faith means the we receive God's saving work by trusting in him.
About the Gospel
The saving gospel is the good news that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and rose again. We obey the gospel (2 Thessalonians 1:8; 1 Peter 4:17) by repentance (death to sin), water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (burial), and receiving the gift of the Holy Spirit (resurrection) (1 Corinthians 15:1-4; Acts 2:4, 37-39; Romans 6:3-4).
About Christian Living
As Christians we are to love God and others. We should live a holy life inwardly and outwardly, and worship God joyfully. The supernatural gifts of the Spirit, including healing, are for the church today (Mark 12:28-31; 2 Corinthians 7:1; Hebrews 12:14; 1 Corinthians 12:8-10).
About the Future
Jesus Christ is coming soon to catch away His church. In the end will be the final resurrection and the final judgment. The righteous will inherit eternal life, and the unrighteous eternal death (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; Revelation 20:11 15).
In July, 1915, a remarkable happening occurred in a field on the east side of what is now called Perkins Street. About halfway down “Clay Hill”, in James W. Smith’s field, a tent was pitched for a gospel revival. Skeptical though they were, the town turned out to see what this was all about. Hungry hearts heeded the invitation to come pray for a new experience. To their amazement, after repenting and asking God for this great gift, they began to speak in other tongues as God gave the evidence that His Spirit was coming to live
within. Pentecost had come to DeQuincy. God moved on Uncle Jim Smith about a location for a permanent church building. He donated a plot of land on the southwest corner of his property which is now known as 230 Smith Street. Fleming T. (Uncle Tom) Smith had a building erected and donated it to the congregation in 1916. The building was unique due to the fact that it had twelve sides, which some thought represented the twelve Apostles. Rev. Robert L. LaFleur was the first pastor of the work here, beginning in late 1915. In 1936, under Rev. E. L. Cox’s leadership, the twelve-sided building was torn down and replaced by a modern two-story wood frame building. During the pastorate of Rev. A. D. Varnado from 1944 to 1952, the church was enlarged to include a fellowship hall, kitchen, and a two-story addition for Sunday School rooms. In February of 1960, under the pastorate of Rev. M. C. Geuin, a modern brick auditorium was built. Elder T. D. Cardwell pastored here from August 1965 until his retirement in December of 2002, for a total of 37 1/2 years. During his pastorate, in 1966, a west educational wing was built which housed a kitchen, fellowship hall, offices, Sunday School rooms, and evangelists’ quarters. In 1973 an east educational wing was built, a new parsonage erected, additional parking was added and the old two-story building was torn down. In the mid 1980s a family life center was built which consists of a half court gymnasium, a large dining hall, kitchen, and storage. The shed that houses our church vans and a vehicle wash rack was erected in 1993. Numerous houses and tracts of land were purchased during this time also.
On Sunday, Aug. 3, 2008, under the pastorate of the late Rev. Wayne Cardwell, an official groundbreaking service for our current sanctuary and office complex was held. The construction of this facility began in September of 2008. With the unified effort of this local assembly and the help and guidance of the Lord, we were blessed to be able to march into our current facility on Sunday, Sept. 20, 2009. Our new building houses our auditorium, which seats approximately 800, offices, a nursery, a choir rehearsal room and two large prayer rooms. Our church has a large and active youth department with on-going scheduled activities. The youth of our church have participated in Bible Quiz events for many years, studying the Word of God and traveling to both state and national tournaments. Many lives have been touched by our other ministries and outreach programs that include local hospital visitation, nursing home service, bus ministry, and a talented puppet team. Our church supports both home and foreign missionaries.